Monday, January 5, 2009

Whatever energies I may or may not have, I know one thing for certain: That I could not devote them to anything else I should think entirely worth doing. Indeed, nothing else seems interesting enough, nothing to repay the labor, but the telling of my fellow man about the one man who is the truth, and to know whom is life. Even if there be no hereafter, I would live my time believing in a grand thing that ought to be true if it is not. As facts can take the place of truths; and if these be not truths, then is the loftiest part of our nature a waste. Let me hold by the better than the actual, and fall into nothingness off the same precipice with Jesus and John and Paul and a thousand more, who were lovely in their lives, and with their death make even the nothingness into which they have passed like the garden of the Lord. I will go farther, and say I would rather die forevermore believing as Jesus believed, than live forevermore as those that deny him. George MacDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment